Tulln is located in Lower Austria at the river Danube. It is about 40 km north-west of Vienna and can easily be reached from Vienna by car, taxi, or public transport within 25-45 minutes.
You can travel to the IWGS in Tulln/Donau (Austria) by car, train or plane.
The nearest airport to Tulln is Vienna International Airport (VIE), with numerous international flight connections. VIE is located 60 km east of Tulln. Alternatively, Bratislava Airport (BTS) is about 130 km away from Tulln.
- Booking period: now until April 28, 2017
- Valid for flights to Vienna and return as of April 16, 2017 until May 5, 2017 (final date for return flight) on OS operated flights.
How to get from Vienna International Airport to Vienna and Tulln/Donau
Austria has a very good public transport net. Trains are a convenient and fast means of travelling, there are also numerous bus connections and tram and metro lines in Vienna.
A few useful translations (German – English)
Bahnhof = train station
Hauptbahnhof = main train station
Bahnsteig = platform
Zug = train
U-Bahn = metro
Strassenbahn = tram
Bus = bus
Please note: there is no direct public connection from Vienna International Airport to Tulln/Donau. You have to go through Vienna city. Travel time using public transport from the Airport to Tulln will be aroun 60-90 Minutes, >> see below for recommended routes.
In case you want to select your own trip we recommend one of these route planners
** Austrian Federal Railway (Österreichische Bundesbahnen, ÖBB) – route planner: SCOTTY
The website of the Austrian Federal Railway Company (OBB, Österreichische Bundesbahnen) offers excellent online information for public transport in Austria. Their online route planner is called SCOTTY. It helps you navigate through most public transport connections in Austria including Vienna. It is also available for mobile platforms, including Android, Windows, iPhone and Blackberry.
In addition, there is an OBB information and ticket counter (in red color) in the Airport arrival hall, right next to the CAT (City Airport Train) information and ticket counter (in green colour). Tickets for trains and CAT are available at these counters in the arrival hall or at vending machines at the airport (in the arrival hall and on your way to the train station there are numerous such vending machines, red for the OeBB and green for the CAT).
** VOR (Verkehrsverbund Ost Region) | AnachB Trip Planner
VOR / AnachB is a countrywide planning tool which offers current traffic information, realistic travel time comparison and pricing information. The trip planner provides multimodal transport information which is characterized by the combination of public transport with travel on foot, by bike or by car. VOR | AnachB is also available for mobile platforms: Android, iOS & Windows Phone.
We recommend one of the following routes from the Vienna International Airport to Tulln/Donau
You have to pass through Vienna, travelling time to Vienna is between 16 Minutes (Railjet train or CAT–train) to 25 minutes (Airport Bus or train S7 [Schnellbahn]). From Vienna you can catch a train to Tulln (see below)
>> Route 1
travel time: 59 minutes (available from 06:33 till 20:33 daily); price for a one way ticket valid for the whole trip and available at the red OBB vending machines is € 9.90
- From the Airport, take a railjet (RJ) train riding through the city via Vienna Main Station (Wien Hauptbahnhof) to the train station Tullnerfeld;
- Railjet trains to Tullnerfeld run every hour from 06:33 till 20:33. If your flight arrives earlier or later, see route 2 or choose another alternative, such as Airport bus or taxi.
- At Tullnerfeld, catch a train (line S40) or a bus to Tulln/Donau
>> Route 2
travel time: around 80 – 90 minutes; price for the one way ticket at red OBB vending machines is € 9.90 [valid for the complete one way trip on standard trains (not the CAT!) and the Vienna metro lines]
- From the Airport, take the Schnellbahn S7 train (or alternatively CAT, airport-bus or taxi – but this will be more expensive) to Vienna city center (>> see below for connections Airport to Vienna city center)
- Ride the Metro (“U-Bahn”) line U4 (green signs) to station Heiligenstadt
- From there, catch a train to Tulln/Donau
Please note that for trains or metro in Austria you have to purchase your ticket before you enter the train, either online or at vending machines or ticket counters at the train stations. If you cannot show a valid ticket on the train, you may be charged an extra fine of minimum 90 Euro.
You can buy a ticket that is valid all the way through Tulln/Donau at OBB vending machines at the Airport (red vending machines) and there is an OBB counter in the arrival hall which will help you. A ticket from the Airport to Tulln/Donau is available for € 9.90 and is valid all the way through, including the standard trains (NOT the CAT train!) and the Vienna metro (U-Bahn).
VOR TICKET – your public transport ticket during the symposium
At the registration desk you will receive a public transport ticket (VOR), which is valid from Sunday, April 23 until Saturday, April 29. This ticket is valid on all train connections between Vienna an Tulln, either for the route Wien Franz Josephs Bahnhof to Tulln or via Bahnhof Tullnerfeld. The same ticket is valid on the complete public transport net inside Vienna (Kernzone) on all metro, tram, bus and train lines. In case of ticket control just show your ticket and have an ID card (e.g. passport) ready.
Vienna International Airport to Vienna city center
Vienna International Airport (VIE) is located around 16 km outside of the city. To travel from the airport to the city center, look for connections to the station “Wien-Mitte” (also called “Landstraße”) or to “Wien Hauptbahnhof “(Vienna main station). There are several possible options (more details about transport):
The OBB offers several rail connections from the airport to Vienna and further destinations.
- For example line S7 (Schnellbahn) trains run every 30 minutes, from 04:48 to 23:18 (last connection 00:18), travel time is 23 minutes to the city center (train station: Wien Mitte-Landstrasse). Buy your ticket at the OBB counter in the arrival hall (red) or the red OBB vending machines. At Wien Mitte you have access to many other connections, such as metro (lines U4 and U3), tram and buses.
- Railjet trains run between the airport and Wien Hauptbahnhof (Vienna Main Station) from 06:33 until 23:03 in 30 minutes intervals, travel time is just 15 minutes. Buy your ticket at the OBB counter in the arrival hall (red) or the red OBB vending machines. At Wien Hauptbahnhof you have access to many other public connections, such as metro (line U1), tarmway and other trains.
- CAT (City-Express I City Airport Train). This city express train reaches the Vienna city center (station: Wien Mitte-Landstrasse) non-stop in 16 minutes, but is more expensive and requires a special ticket that is valid on the CAT only, available at the CAT ticket and information counter (green) in the arrival hall and at green CAT vending machines (green-dark grey).
- Airport Bus (e.g. Vienna Airport Lines) offers a 24h service to different destinations in Vienna, tickets available on the bus and at vending machines in the arrival hall. A bus stop close to the city center is the destination Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz, where you have a connection other services, such as metro lines U4 and U1. One way ticket for 8 Euro, return ticket for 13 Euro.
- Taxi or limousine/car rental, numerous taxi companies are available at the airport. A Taxi ride from Vienna Airport to Vienna city center will cost typically 35 Euro.
Getting around in Vienna
Once you’re in the city, you can use the public transport system. Using the metro (‘U-Bahn’) will be fastest. For connections to Tulln, look for the green line U4 to Heiligenstadt. Heiligenstadt is the last stop. From there it is easy to catch a train to Tulln.
You can find information for Vienna public transport and the city and subway map here.
🚆 Train connections Vienna – Tulln/Donau
for all connections between Vienna and Tulln and the complete transport net in Vienna your VOR ticket (see above) is valid!
The Austrian Federal Railway Company (OBB) serves the connection from Vienna to Tulln regularly. They have a useful route planner called SCOTTY. Trains run from about 05:00 in the morning until midnight. You can catch a train to Tulln at any of the stations:
- Wien Franz-Josephs-Bahnhof
- Wien Spittelau
- Wien Heiligenstadt
Train rides may take approximately 25 – 45 minutes, depending on the train type. S40 “Schnellbahn” trains are slow, taking about 45 minutes, with many stops. REX trains are faster, and need only about 25 minutes.
👷 Please be aware that the train station Tulln/Donau Bahnhof is currently under renovation, and construction work is ongoing, but the train service is not affected!
Vienna to Tulln/Donau
During the Symposium from Monday – Thursday we recommend the following train connection to Tulln: train REX 2104: departure 08:28 Wien Franz Josephs Bahnhof > 08:31 Wien Spittelau Bahnhof > 08:34 Wien Heiligenstadt Bahnhof > 08:55 Tulln/Donau Bahnhof > change train to S40 (direction St. Polten) 08:58 Tulln/Donau Bahnhof > 09:00 Tulln/Donau Stadt-Bahnhof > 🚶 700 meters (9 minutes) to Danubium or Atrium » MAP
On Friday the Symposium will start at 10:15, so you can sleep a little longer and take e.g. the train S40 (direction St. Pölten) departure 09:08 Wien Franz Josephs Bahnhof > 09:11 Wien Spittelau Bahnhof > 09:14 Wien Heiligenstadt Bahnhof >09:53 Tulln/Donau Bahnhof > 09:55 Tulln/Donau Stadt Bahnhof > 🚶700 meters (9 minutes) to Danubium or Atrium » MAP.
Tulln/Donau to Vienna
Option 1) Tulln/Donau Stadt-Bahnhof – 🚶 700 meters (9 minutes) from Danubium or Atrium » MAP
Line: S40, train ride to Vienna takes about 50 minutes (with many stops in between) with the final destination Wien Franz Josephs Bahnhof. Trains depart approximately every 30 minutes, e.g. on 12:05, 12:30, 13:05, 13:30, 14:05, 14:30, 15:05, 15:30, 16:05, 16:30, 17:05, 17:30, 18:05, 18:30, 19:05, 19:30, 20:05, 20:30, 21:05, 21:30, 22:05, 23:35 >> this is the last train connection from Tulln to Vienna!
Option 2) Tulln/Donau Bahnhof – 🚶 1.4 km (18 minutes) from Danubium » MAP
Serves also faster REX-trains, on REX trains a ride to Vienna takes typically less than 30 minutes with just few stops.
Examples for departures in Tulln/Donau: 13:01 (REX 2119), 13:32 (REX 2833), 13:59 (REX 2169), 14:32 (REX 2835), 15:04 (REX 2123), 15:32 (REX 2841), 15:57 (REX 2173), 16:32 (REX 2843), 17:01 (REX 2125), 17:32 (REX 2845), 18:00 (REX 2175), 18:32 (REX 2849), 19:01 (REX 2127), 19:32 (REX 2851), 19:57 (REX 2181), 20:32 (REX 2855), 21:01 (REX 2131), 21:32 (REX 2857), 22:00 (REX 5927), 22:32 (REX 2859), 23:38 (S40) >> this is the last train connection from Tulln to Vienna!
TAXI – Tulln
The local TAXI companies in Tulln are:
Taxi (from Vienna Airport to Tulln)
A Taxi ride from the Vienna International Airport to Tulln/Donau will cost about 100 – 140 Euro. Travel time on a taxi will be about 40 – 60 minutes, depending on traffic. Get information about taxis at Vienna airport here.