Welcome from the organizers
We cordially invite you all to the 13th International Wheat Genetics Symposium, which will take place in April 2017 in Tulln, Austria. If you would like to participate, please register here.
We will see you soon in Tulln, we will be over 500 participants from 45 countries.
Yesterday we had some snowfall and temperatures 0-5 degrees Celsius only.
Have a save trip!
Instructions for presenters
1) Your slides MUST be compatible for presenting in Microsoft POWER POINT 2016 for Windows (we will NOT have a MAC available!). Typically Powerpoint 2016 also manages PP 2013 and PP 2010 presentations easily (*.pptx or *.ppt files).
2) The data projector supports the modern 16:9 format.
3) Timing: For a 20 minutes presentation plan maximum 15 minutes for your lecture and reserve minimum 5 minutes for the discussion and answering questions. The schedule is tight, time discipline is therefore compulsory.
4) Hand in your presentation on an USB device! Hand in your presentation at the latest during a break the day BEFORE your presentation is due.
5) Recording of presentations: We plan recording presentations (voice and screen content) for later web-viewing, but we will certainly request your written permission.
1) Your poster must be printed in portrait format.
2) The maximum possible size of the poster display area is 95 cm wide x 220 cm tall.
3) All posters will be on display all week!
4) Posters with odd numbers will be specifically presented in Session I (Tuesday, April 25, 11:15 – 13:15),
5) Posters with even numbers in Session II (Thursday, April 27, 10:35 – 12:35).
6) We use adhesive tapes for fixing posters.
PDF upload and PDF publication for oral and poster presentations – OPTIONAL
1) All accepted abstracts will be published in the proceedings book.
2) In case you additionally want to make your finally presented POSTER or LECTURE slides publicly available you can upload and thus publish your poster or your presentation slides in PDF format at the IWGS webpage.
3) Poster must be a pdf in DIN A3 format, slides must be a series of slides in pdf.
4) Upload your pdf at the IWGS page Abstracts.
On Tuesday, April 25, 19:30 – 21:00 there will be a public evening discussion event in order to inform publicly about our symposium. Sorry that this event will be in German language.
Weizen – ein Grundnahrungsmittel der Menschheit
Prof. Eva Stöger (BOKU), Dr. Hans Braun (CIMMYT), Dr. Franziska Löschenberger (Saatzucht-Donau), Prof. Peter Langridge (Adelaide)
Moderation: Dr. Andreas Obrecht.
Everybody welcome, free admission » Please register by mail until April 18, 2017.
Around IWGS several Satellite Meetings in cooperation with the Wheat Initiative will take place, organized by the Expert Working Groups on Phenotyping, Quality, Abiotic Stress Resistance, Disease Resistance, Durum Wheat, and Breeding Methods, as well as a Scientific Board meeting. ⇒ MORE information and registration.
For all of you who have fun in running, please be aware that the Vienna City Marathon will take place on Sunday, April 23.
Our IOC member Cristobal Uauy (JIC) plans to participate with some friends. Why not form an IWGS running team? We are certainly the first IWGS with an IOC member appointed for sports activities! In case you are interested in joining the IWGS running team at the Vienna City Marathon, ⇒ contact Cristobal.
With great humility we take over the duty to host the 13th IWGS.
I am sure we will have a lot of interesting topics and developments to discuss!
Progress in wheat genetics and genomics is almost breath-taking, with high quality genome resources becoming available for the wheat community. Genetics and genomics tools are being integrated in wheat improvement programs. Determining gene functions, and mining allelic variation is now feasible with high precision. Informative and dense genotyping platforms that allow insights into genome diversity, evolution and modelling even highly quantitative traits, making genomics assisted breeding a realistic tool. Still challenges in maintaining diversity, assembling optimal cultivars, bringing improved cultivars to less developed regions, sharing germplasm and knowledge need to be discussed and improved.
This webpage will provide you with all information about 13th IWGS – 2017. Timing is now set and the place fixed. We have reserved 500 block bookings in hotels in Tulln and Vienna.
In case you discover any errors or want to suggest improvements of this webpage, or what to share your ideas about this meeting with us, please do not hesitate to contact us. We aim to provide you with optimal information and an optimal program.
Please follow us at this page and we are looking forward to meeting you at IWGS 2017!
It is a great privilege for the city and the whole community that the International Wheat Genetics Symposium (IWGS) will take place at Tulln, Lower Austria.
Tulln is a pleasant town, close to Vienna, located in the middle of the breadbasket of Austria. We have a strong agricultural tradition, with Austria’s biggest sugar factory and we are hosting an annual agricultural fair (Austro Agrar Tulln) which attracts visitors from Austria and the neighboring countries.
We are proud that the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU) runs a significant research and education center in Tulln, which is the focal point for innovation and higher education in our region.
We will do our best to make the IWGS 2017 a great success and we are sure you will enjoy your stay with us.
Mayor of the city of Tulln.